After months and months of hard work and procrastination, we're finally launching Pulsir 3, which is a whole new experience of Pulsir, complete with a new design and a load of new features.
We're proud to introduce this and we hope that you'll like it.
Who worked on Pulsir 3?
/ZDroid worked on the beautiful new design and the Whitey theme, I coded a lot of the things out (with the help of amazing GitHub contributors :D), /masteroman made sure it worked and Nathan managed community things while we were focusing on the core software.
So, what's new?
First of all, the design! As features go, this is going to be a long list...
- a template/theme engine
- better sessions
- a settings panel that allows you to change everything about your profile
- account exports in beautiful JSON
- a better API
- custom CSS support
- you're now able to fully delete an account manually
- you're now able to revoke all sessions
- you're now able to edit posts and delete them after publication
- you're now able to set a custom domain (but you need to contact our support team to do that because of some things we have to do server-side)
- better, more secure signups (username collisions, fallback hashing algorithms (as PHP sometimes feels clever and stops crypt() from working properly), things like that)
- two factor authentification (still in beta)
- Pulsir Spotlight, a place where we highlight the best posts on Pulsir
- better spam protection thanks to Akismet <3
- better XSS and CSRF protection
- cookie warnings that make sense
- NSFW warnings on NSFW posts
- Markdown support
- replies that make more sense
- posts no longer need titles or tags
- and even more features coming soon!
THAT'S NOT A REALLY LONG LIST! Why did it take that long?!
We're all volunteers and develop Pulsir in our own free time, so it takes waaay much more time to develop. Also, we're humans -- we need to rest as well, we can't code day and night. Software that works takes months, great software takes years.
We'll be working on twofactor authentification, drafts (probably) and some backend things for our next version. Maybe even an OAuth2 & write API. We don't know yet. If there's anything you'd like to see in the next versions of Pulsir, please let us know in a post reply or send us an email over at email@example.com and we'll work on it.
Is this a Medium/Silvrback clone?
No. Pulsir is a blogging tool for people who like to write, not a publishing platform. Although we have some similarities with Medium and Silvrback in design and URL structure (Medium especially), we're quite different from them. If you don't like our logo, you can hide it with custom CSS on your blog and posts. Don't want to have your posts on our domain? Set up a custom domain. Our focus is on you and your content, not ourselves.
How does Pulsir make money?
The short answer, we don't. We may sell actual ads in the future (but the size and placement will mostly stay the same and we'll never show ads on your content or blog) or do commercial services, but as of yet, Pulsir does not make money in any way. However, Pulsir will continue to work even if it doesn't make money -- you don't have to worry about the future of Pulsir.
What about privacy?
How can I believe that you log only those things?
We're open source, so you can go look at the source code at any time.
I'm a coder and I looked at that code and puked.
Pulsir is not an example of good code.
Pulsir is written to work.
It doesn't always follow good language practices. It's bad code, written in a limited period of time by volunteers. We'll be working on making the code less messy, but in the meantime, there are a lot of flaws in regards to best practices.
We're sorry about that.
I want to help out!
Great! If you're a coder, you can start on GitHub, and if you're not or just need some help getting started, just send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll point you in the right direction.
That's about it. Pulsir 3 is now out. Let us know what you think about it :)
If you need any help, visit the documentation (still a work in progress) or talk to the humans.